Every month on our site and newsletters we will share with you our favorite ideas to live an illumined life: places & people, experiences, practices & programs, blogs & books we are loving. These tips or insights help you rise to shine! We share things that help to amplify our light and our life. They are wattage-boosters because a mind shift here, an added ingredient there, an expert or service that is totally worth it, a GO and a NO list can help you to shine even brighter. We love to explore and share, and we can’t keep a good thing a secret!!
To live an illumined life Travel Far/Travel Deep
Travel is one of the most transformative experiences in life. Getting out of our daily grind, or doing our grind somewhere else, gives us perspective! Experiencing new cultures shifts our understanding of what is normal. And being the stranger helps us be much more friendly and welcoming in our own hometown. But it’s not about the miles you travel. Remember: it’s how much you are opening yourself up to experience the new and unfamiliar.
Our friends asked us to share about their opportunities for traveling far and deep:
If you are looking for something this month, lucky you!!
- Susan Lipshutz is leading her annual women’s retreat in Tulum, February 24- March 4. It’s definitely not too late! Check out Google Flights for best prices on travel (you’re welcome!).
- Portugal is calling you!! Yoga Within You founder Jenny Guzon-Bae (and past “Survivor” celebrity) and Marcy Barth, both extraordinary teachers on the North Shore, lead a yoga retreat in Portugal this June. I can’t think of a better way to explore a new country than a yoga retreat. Talk about going “far and deep.” And you will be in good hands with Yoga Within You! Jenny has led retreats in several different countries and is a world traveler/lover of life. Marcy is one of the most fun and grounded people we know. GO!! Double Occupancy begins at $1600 per person. Click here for all details. Mention “illumine” and you will receive up to $100 off your retreat (Your welcome!!)
- Or maybe Mexico??
Yoga instructors Megan Dunne Krouse and Courtney Riley are leading a Yoga Retreat to the luxurious Prana del Mar in Baja, Mexico, April 14-21, 2018. Entitled “Align Your Inner and Outer Selves,” this week-long retreat explores how the practice of yoga can lead towards wholeness and integration of the inner and outer selves. Two yoga classes each day incorporate meditation and pranayama. Here are the details.
Lourdes Paredes, founder of illumine, is going to Sardinia, Italy in May to attend A-Fest! This is her favorite learn+travel experience. What’s yours? Sardinia is a Blue Zone, and we’ve already started to research in order to share more about Blue Zone living for an illumined life! Other Blue Zones to check out for a get away:
Nicoya Penninsula, Costa Rica
And other travel + learn experiences:
Archangel Summit: Archangel [ARK-Angel] Summit is the annual gathering of mission-driven entrepreneurs, leaders, and professionals who want to do well by doing good.
Here’s an article from one of our favorite magazines, Travel + Leisure about more opportunities.
Read books that illuminate
The Code of the Extraordinary Mind: 10 Unconventional Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed On Your Own Terms by Vishen Lakihani was one of the best books we read in 2017. There’s a lot of talk about mindset, which we are all about, and this is one that addresses the philosophy of mindset as well as very practical ways of resetting an extraordinary mindset. He uses examples of modern extraordinary minds, like Elon Musk and Peter Diamandis, to make his exercises come alive.
Writing as a Path to Awakening: A Year to Becoming an Excellent Writer and Living an Awakened Life by Albert Flynn DeSilver for anyone wanting to begin a writing practice. Albert draws on the meditative practice as a starting point and allows writing to be a path to a deep meditation practice. The book is organized month by month, and we found it easy to start at any point of the year.
It’s February and love is in the air. Sharon Salzberg is one of our long time meditation teachers. Her most recent book, Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection is truly a timeless classic on deepening our connection with our selves, our loved ones, and our community. And at a time when what the world needs now is love, sweet love, let’s get more of this into our lives.
An Apple a Day
OK, so it’s not a secret to eat your fruits and vegetables, but if you choose apples, sprinkle (or shake) cinnamon on apples. That’s it! JUST CINNAMON! It is an incredible treat. There’s enough sweetness in the apple (we love Honey Crisp and Fuji) for even the strongest cinnamon.
We go to the The Spice House for the Saigon Cinnamon we use on apples and for all of our spices. They hand pack spices from reliable and fresh sources. If you’re in Chicago they have locations in Old Town on Wells Street and in Evanston on Main Street.
Chill… and by chill, we mean get really, really cold
Cryotherapy is becoming THE go-to physical recovery for pro athletes as well as everyday athletes. Reducing soreness post-activity, and minimizing inflammation are its main claim to fame, read more about research that supports the benefits and we’ve got the best Cryo studios to experience this. They are both committed to educating and providing excellent service and access to this revolutionary technology.
Check out The Cryobar in Lincoln Park
Here’s the scoop:
- First Chill is $40 (regularly $65)
- Get 4 Chills for $160 (save $100) because they are celebrating their 2nd birthday!
- Mention “illumine” and get 15% off any regularly priced package or single Chill. One per person
And if you are are in the western suburbs, check out FreezeFix in Hinsdale.
Here’s the scoop:
- First FIX is $35 (regularly $50)
- First week of unlimited Fixes is $250
- Packages and monthly membership available
The magic of a blowout!!
It’s one of my favorite treats and pick-me-ups to have someone else blow dry my hair. For some reason my hair looks better for longer without any effort! So if I have a conference coming up or a quick trip, I schedule it in and it makes my life a little easier and I can #shinesobright.
Check out Blown Away, a Blow Dry & Beauty Bar Salon in Lincoln Park at Clybourn and Southport. Owner Laura Alderson has created a beautiful space with really talented stylists and makeup artists to get you ready for anything!
2167 N. Clybourn Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
Mention “illumine magazine” and receive 10% off ( (offer valid through March 31, 2018)
Here’s the scoop:
- Blowouts start at $40
- They also have Dry-Styles starting at $30
- They have make-up artists, so it’s great for special events and photoshoots
- Sweet deal: HOLIDAY HAIR HANGOVER (3 Blowouts for $67) $120 Value (*To be used before 3/8, excludes Fridays, Saturdays, and February 14th*)
As always, this was written with lots of love!! This page contains affiliate links to the books through Amazon. We hope you appreciate our recommendations, and we appreciate you supporting us by purchasing through these links, which earns us a little commission. Thank you always!